D2 Visa in South Korea

Guide to Acquiring a Work Permit to Work Part-Time on a D2 Visa in South Korea

South Korea is an attractive destination for international students looking to work part-time to support their living expenses while studying. However, as a foreigner in South Korea, you need to obtain a work permit to work legally. This article will guide you on how to obtain a work permit on a D2 visa, which is a student visa for academic purposes.

Understand the Restrictions

As an international student on a D2 visa, you are allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours a week during the semester and full-time during vacation periods. However, there are restrictions on the types of jobs you can do. You are only allowed to work in jobs related to your field of study or jobs that do not require specific skills, such as language teaching or customer service.

Find a Job

Before you can apply for a work permit, you need to find a part-time job. There are many websites and apps that can help you find part-time jobs in South Korea, such as Albachunkuk, Job Korea, and Saramin. You can also check with your university’s career center for job listings.

Obtain a Job Offer Letter

Once you have found a job, you need to obtain a job offer letter from your employer. The letter should include your job title, work hours, salary, and a brief job description.

Apply for a Work Permit

With your job offer letter in hand, you can apply for a work permit at your local immigration office. You will need to submit the following documents:

  • A completed application form
  • Your passport
  • Your Alien Registration Card (ARC)
  • Your job offer letter
  • A certificate of enrollment from your university
  • Your university transcript
  • A fee of KRW 60,000 (approximately USD 55)
  • Wait for Approval


It usually takes around two weeks for your work permit to be approved. Once your application is approved, your employer will receive a work permit certificate. You will also need to visit your local immigration office to have your work permit stamp added to your passport.

Start Working

With your work permit in hand, you can start working part-time. Make sure you adhere to the restrictions on work hours and job types.

In conclusion, as an international student on a D2 visa, you are allowed to work part-time in South Korea, but you need to obtain a work permit first. Follow the steps outlined above to ensure that you acquire your work permit legally and start working without any issues.

Contact for Consultation